Update: at 8:15 a.m. on Friday, July 1, we reached our fundraising goal of $300,000 and "unlocked" the $100,000 challenge for a grand total of $400,000! Thanks to the more than 4,500 listeners who contributed to our fundraiser to help pay for the programming and all of the services VPR provides.
The year was 1977: Jimmy Carter had taken office on a wave of dissatisfaction with “establishment” politicians, the Apple II computer was redefining our relationship with technology, and thanks to Saturday Night Fever and disco, wide collars and platform shoes were a "thing."
It was also the year that a small group of dedicated members of the community gathered in Windsor, Vermont to oversee the launch of Vermont Public Radio. It was an audacious moment. In the face of technical and legal hurdles, in spite of industry experts warning that public radio couldn’t survive in rural Vermont, this brave band turned on the transmitter…and the rest is history.
Now, nearly 40 years later, a group of dedicated community members have gathered to present an audacious and inspiring proposition. They have pooled their generosity to offer a $100,000 challenge for VPR’s June Membership Drive!
When VPR listeners donate a total of $300,000, we'll receive the $100,000 challenge ($103,200 to be exact)! Click here to make your gift today to help us reach this important goal!
Many thanks to the following VPR friends who are making this challenge possible:
- Jack and Dorothy Byrne Foundation (NH)
- Producers Circle Member From Burlington
- Mike and Becky Goss of Orwell
- Producer Circle Members from Springfield
- Wayne and Deb Granquist of Weston
- Charlie and Marie Kireker of Weybridge
- Bill and Betsy Peabody of Thetford
- Friend from Warren
- Mill Creek Capital Advisors (PA)
- Bob and Vicky Young of Proctor
- Friend from Colchester
- Jon and Wendy Spector of Woodstock
- Friends from Shelburne
- Dick Smith of Weston
- Peter and Claudia Kinder of East Dorset
- Producers Circle Member from Warren
- John and Carolyn Goodwin Kueffner from Waterbury Center