Dartmouth Students Find New Housing After Four-Alarm Fire In Dorm

Oct 3, 2016

Seventy Dartmouth College students have found new campus housing after the largest fire in at least a decade at their college damaged their dorm down over the weekend.

Around midnight a student coal grill caught fire on the roof of Morton Hall down the street from the Dartmouth green.

Response came from fire departments across the region. Hanover, Lebanon and Claremont are three of the 10 towns that helped put out the fire.

Dartmouth President Philip J. Hanlon has expressed his thanks for the community response to the Friday evening fire.

Justin Donawa is a sophomore who plays on the soccer team. He was playing an away game in New Jersey when he found out that his dorm had gone up in flames.

On Monday, he went back to his room to retrieve his belongings and move to campus housing a few blocks away.

“I was just worried about my passport — like that type of stuff,” he said outside Morton Hall Monday afternoon. “Thankfully, the necessities were intact and able to be picked up and we're going to get the rest of our stuff now, so that's a good thing.”

A school official says it is unclear when the dorm will re-open, but it won't be this term.