Summer renovations at Brownell Library, in Essex Junction, have been pushed back several weeks due to manufacturing supply delays. However, library personnel anticipate new subflooring and carpeting will be installed on the main floor at some point this summer, and a plan to keep serving patrons is in place.
"Our renovation project has been delayed due to a back order on materials," the library posted on its Facebook page last week. "We will be open normal hours and with normal check out periods until we have a new start date. We hope the project will be able to be begin in late June or early July."
Once construction does begin, only the Main Reading Room will be off limits during the first week of work. When the work moves beyond the Main Reading Room, the entire building will be closed and a "satellite library," around the back of the building, will open for limited hours until renovations are complete. Public computers will not be available during the renovations.
"The satellite library will operate in the Kolvoord Community Room, accessible through the rear entrance of the library," a library announcement states. "A limited selection of materials will be available for checkout, and staff will retrieve requested materials from the main building when possible."
Satellite Library hours will be:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday 1 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Closed weekends
- Summer Reading programs that conflict with the timing of the construction will be held on the library grounds, or across the parking lot in Lincoln Hall.
- Library patrons interested in getting materials can call the library during open hours or email anytime to request materials.
- Brownell cardholders can place holds on materials online if they have their account set up for access. Patrons will receive confirmation when materials are available for pickup.
- No interlibrary loan requests will be processed during the construction.
- Book donations will not be accepted during construction.
- Library materials checked out just prior to construction will have an extended due date.
- Patrons are encouraged to check out as much material as they will need during the partial closure.
- Library materials can be returned anytime to the library book drop outside the main entrance.
- Brownell Library is part of the Homecard System and card holders can access 21 libraries in the area.
- Downloadable e-books and audiobooks are also available to library patrons through Listen Up Vermont with a valid library card number.