Dining out is fun. There is no fuss, no cleanup and no thinking. But, it can also mean a big check. There are, however, many delicious, creative options in Burlington for $10 or less.
Sally Pollak, food writer for the Burlington Free Press, sampled many affordable options around town, including 22 chicken wings, a foot-long Philly Cheese Steak and a spaghetti dish that's been famous since 1973. She shared her favorites with VPR.
Sally's favorite dishes around Burlington for $10 or less:
- Chicken wings (22 to be exact) at Reuben James
- Poutine at Bluebird Tavern
- Grilled cheese, hot dogs, French fries and onion rings at Al's French Fries
- Ravioli, veal cutlets, and lasagna at Bove's
- Chicken, calamari, curry and soup at Pho Hong
- $2 tacos at Manhattan Pizza
Sally's favorite dishes around Burlington for $20 or less:
- Cheeseburger with salad at The Farmhouse Tap & Grill
- Choose 5 options on the antipasto list at Pizzeria Verita
- 12 oysters and a beer at Hen of the Wood (between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m.)
Ric's favorite cheap eats around Vermont:
- Burrito at Mad Taco in Montpelier
- Everything at Black Back Pub in Waterbury
- Burgers at the Shopping Bag in Burlington
To find more dining options for under $20, read the Free Press article by Sally and Melissa Pasanen.
The VPR Cafe is produced in collaboration with The Burlington Free Press and is made possible on VPR by City Market in Burlington.
Broadcast on January 18, 2015.